On 10/19/05, Tom Madden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I too saw this and saw an opportunity for many of the great restaurateurs in
> the city.
>
> I believe one solution (of many I am sure) is to have local restaurants
> rather than big chains.

While copelands was a chain, the mpls location was the only one in the
5 state region I believe.  I also thought i heard it closed not so
much because of lack of sales but the changing focus of city center,
could be wrong on that.  Notice, fridays and goodfellows are gone as
well.

Nothing has lasted very long where the olive garden was.  It seems to
be a poor facility for an eating establishment.

I don't think it is a chain vs. local issue.  both types have not
faired well.  rock star, aquavit (not local but not a chain), cafe un
doux trois. are no longer.  I think if it is unique, people will go,
chain or local.  If Houstons (chain) set up shop in one of the empty
spaces, i would go.  if Fhima's (local) did, i probably wouldn't go,
been to the one in St. Paul.  Conversely, drop in a Chili's or Don
Pablo's and i wouldn't even notice it.

Location doesn't seem to be that much of an issue.  Ike's, Murray's
and my personal favorite, Lyon's Pub, all look to be doing well yet
their bookends, olive garden and nick & tony's, never had any
business.

John Harris
webber-camden