I just want to clarify a point made in a recent email about the
environmental record of Mayor Rybak as it regards Stage I Vapor  Recovery.

The initial Stage I vapor recovery ordinance was introduced and  passed in
December, 2001 (2001-OR-160), but that ordinance only applied to new  gas
stations being built and had no requirements for existing gas  stations.  Now
think
for a minute about how few new gas stations are built  in the City of
Minneapolis.  There are some (like the unfortunate addition  of Bobby and
Steve's on
Nicollet) but not many.

In 2002, I authored with the support of Mayor Rybak a much  stronger
ordinance concerning Stage I Vapor Recovery.  It was   passed in December 2002
(2002-OR-193). This ordinance requires all gas stations  in Minneapolis to
retrofit
their stations with Sage I  Vapor Recovery equipment by January 1,  2007.  The
link to the staff report and ordinance is
_http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/council/2002-meetings/20021122/PSRS20021113agenda.asp#TopOfPage_

(http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/council/2002-meetings/20021122/PSRS20021113agenda.asp#TopOfPag
e)

Scott Benson
Minneapolis City Council Member
Ward 11

Laura Huseby wrote on November 1:

For the record, I have been a volunteer for the Sierra Club Water Committee
for the past three years.  I would love to participate in the next Sierra
Club Political Committee.

Point #1, RT wasn't even there when the  resolution for the vapor recovery
was written.  And I believe your trying  to claim all the credit for someone
who
wasn't even there for the  work.
SOURCE: Ordinance 2001-Or-160, proposed by CM Biernat, amended Title  13,
Chapter 287.110, required that all gas stations established after 1/1/02  must
install and use a Stage I vapor recovery system. This proposed ordinance
passed
unanimously on December 28, 2001, by City Council and was approved on
December 31, 2001, by Mayor Sharon Sayles  Belton.