The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board has taken minutes forever. It is the quality and format of them that would make one wonder if they are actually minutes. To get minutes of committee meetings ( where the issues are really discussed) you had to have a fast speed audio tape changed to a standard format and the minutes I quoted are available online for only part of 2002 and then forward and only for regular board meetings not committee meetings. When the MPRB started broadcasting they eliminated all minute taking except to amend the agenda to say passed/failed/tabled or amended and now passed as on the website. They have since gone back to at least adding some comments. The fact is that written minutes will stand the test of time. The old "voice recorded" committee minutes are difficult to reference and as video is now becoming passe DVD will no doubt follow that same path eventually. Parkwatch has been advocating for minutes that actually include commissioner discussions and actual votes in committee as well as during the regular meetings. How can you hold your elected officials accountable if you never know how they voted or in my case WHY they voted for something. I am not so set in my ways that a good debate cannot sway me to reconsider my stand on an issue. This is why unlike many I do support keeping an independent park police force. Commissioner Dziedzic made more facts available and after verifying them I had to agree.

Liz Wielinski
Columbia Park
www.mplsparkwatch.org