Dorie Rae Gallagher says:

Why would the local political leaders say anything? They are comfortable. It is the people of Minneapolis that need to speak up for what they feel are the essentials.

MT says: But therein lies part of the problem. The people of Minneapolis, many of them on this board, see everything as essentials. Gardens, art, libraries, parks, debt service, police, parades, Block E.......what's essential? Everything we want, we can't live without. Then we all whine when the bill comes due.

Then Gary Hoover, while peddling for "ecojustice" says:

Let's make Minneapolis a beacon of light by having the courage to insist that taxation be progressive.

MT says: Let me clue you into something: The spending required in living life is regressive. The truth is: the poor pay a larger percentage of their income to groceries and rent and video movies and medicine and gasoline and everything else than do the rich. It's a fact of economics and mathematics and life. If we really want to be fair about things, let's let the poor pay less for most everything. At the store, one can show their poor card, and they'll get a different rate on bread and milk and Cheetos. At Holiday, they can get a cheaper rate on gas...... while there's still any left.

Why should I be expected to pay a higher tax rate simply because I make more.......while I, quite possibly, consume less of what my taxes ostensibly go to than the poor do? Listen, if we all want to be treated the same.....and we all want equality, let's have it. And we can start with tax equality. If people believe progressive taxation is an issue of ethics and morality, and that it's my duty----- i.e. that "it's the right thing for fellow man to do upon fellow man," that's fine---- but keep in mind that ethics and morality are a two-way street, all in the eye of the beholder, and city council and legislature and Supreme Court. Don't whine and moan when, eventually, other people's code of morality, whether it be in terms of taxes or religion or eminent domain or abortion or whatnot, clash with yours....... and is forced down your throat the way the progressive tax movement is crammed down the throats of people like me. Taxes ARE a moral issue (and I believe controlled taxes are necessary)......... But statements like Mr. Hoover's just go to show that those who wish to force their moral code on others can exist on both the left AND the right.

Mike Thompson
Windom
If you don't think your taxes are high enough, write out a check

dangerous content by the Pixius MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.