First off, I have to state that I am against the use of public funding for
stadiums.  The information below is simply to answer some questions on
finance and funding.

Jeremy Wieland wrote:

One question that I have for both the pro- and anti-stadium crowd is why
we
can't hang the public obligation for a new stadium on ticket prices?

Supply and demand.  A surcharge just adds to the ticket cost.  The higher
that you make ticket prices, the fewer people that will buy them.  The Twins
would argue that they have set ticket prices so they get the maximum amount
of money from the consumer.  That amount of money does not let them both
maintain a viable team, pay talent at the market rate, and pay for a
stadium.  That is why they are looking for public financing of the stadium.

Mark Snyder wrote

Because bond interest rates are determined in part by the "risk" associated
with a project. Taxpayer-backed bonds are lower risk than bonds backed by
ticket surcharges and so the interest rates are lower and the overall
project cost is lower..

This is correct.  The City (or another governmental entity) pledges what is
known as its "full faith and credit" meaning that the taxpayers will step up
should something happen to the pledged revenue sources (tickets, parking,
etc).  St Paul had issues with this when hockey took a year off and there
were no revenues to pay bonds.

I would remind folks of how we financed the Metrodome. Love it or hate it,
it was paid for almost solely by user charges (ticket surcharge, food
surcharge, etc).  There was a county sales tax for like a year and a
downtown sales tax for a couple of years.  That was blinked off in about
1983ish and then no longer necessary as the internal revenue sources were
enough to make the project work.  This worked because the Metrodome was
well, cheap as far as stadiums go.  It would seem to me that there would be
stadiums that could be built with a ticket surcharge/concession
surcharge/parking surcharge but they would be much more modest than what is
being currently proposed.   No surprising, in looking around the Country
where stadiums have been privately financed, they are much more modest and
public involvement seems to mean a more expensive stadium.  Because of this,
I would like to see a proposal that says, "We can get this much from
internal sources and this is what we can build with it" to reconnect the
funding available to the asset being built.

Carol Becker
Longfellow
Future Member, Board of Estimate and Taxation
(And for fun info, the stadium proposed before the Metrodome was killed at
the Board of Estimate and Taxation..)