I applaud McLaughlin, Stenglein, Opat and Steele for showing the kind of
backbone this state (and country) needs more of, namely standing up and doing
the right thing, not necessarily the politically convenient thing; in this case
rolling back an overly-restrictive ordinance that satisfied the desires of only
one group, at the expense of another. This compromise provides something for
all: non-smokers are free to stay away (both as patrons and employees), while
smokers now have a public place to go and part-take in a legal activity. I came
to recognize during the mayoral race that Peter McLaughlin was a man of
substance and integrity, this confirms it.

Peter Surmak
Linden Hills