Actually, I think it all depends...

Here, the vast majority of messages are transient, used to send inquiries
and answers back and forth between web servers and the backend (OS/390)
databases (mostly IDMS, but also some VSAM).

So, we made a conscious decision to NOT do the full blown backup stuff.

Basically, once a week, a CSQUTIL runs on OS/390 and takes a snapshot of the
definitions, using MAKEDEF. These are stored in sequential datasets.

When we have a disaster (Thank God, only in testing so far), we delete and
redefine the LOGs and BSDSes from scratch, then reload the definitions from
the MAKEDEFs. Then take it from there on an empty queue manager.

All other data is recoverable using either database recovery mechanisms or,
in a few cases, application logs that redrive transactions. Some
applications maintain database flags that say "Hey -- the backend (or the
frontend) isn't updated" and these flags are left in place until a positive
confirmation is received from the other end that the update is in place, at
which point the flag is changed; for these applications, if a double update
were to occur, there would be no problem since the data would simply replace
itself with identical data.

As I said, it all depends on what your applications are doing and how they
were designed. And, as I said, the vast majority of our traffic is
transient.

I will admit that I dread the day that an application comes along that has
to use the full blown recovery scenario  :-)

Best regards, Rebecca

Rebecca Bullock
Computer Sciences Corporation

Educational Testing Service Account
Princeton, NJ 08541

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED][EMAIL PROTECTED]