Just as a final comment, the trace we sent to IBM showed that
the reason this huge memory was being allocated was due to
a setting in the qmstatus.ini file :

[EMAIL PROTECTED]=2403899684

MQ V5.2 uses this field to allocate the appropriate memory
the next time the queue manager is started. When we finally
did get it to work, it showed

[EMAIL PROTECTED]=7372032

I believe it was the upgrade process that somehow increased
this value. Our contact at IBM stated that CSD2 introduced some
code related to the qmstatus.ini file, but although other
customers have suffered similar problems, IBM have not been
able to get to the bottom of it.

I've agreed to close the pmr, but asked IBM what additional info
to capture if it were to happen again: prior to upgrading to
CSD4 (maybe even a prior version) take a copy of your qmstatus.ini
file, and compare it afterwards.

One final word of caution for users of the Candle agent for MQ.
The trace we sent IBM had some 'bad MQ return codes' in it which
were being issued by the agent. We're currently awaiting info
from Candle to ensure that the agent's code (and library files)
are compatible with CSD4.

Regards ... Ruud