Dan,

The following response from Paul Kettley :-

You can set  IDFORE and IDBACK to be high but  realistically you wouldn't
expect to hit those limits.
These values relate to batch jobs , RRS batch jobs and TSO connections.
Would you expect to have 1,000s of connected batch/RRS batch jobs at anyone
time or would you expect to have 1,000s of TSO foreground users (even
allowing for split screen). Probably not !

Maybe the important point is that IDFORE + IDBACK does not have to equal to
CTHREAD.

For example remember that each CICS regions will use 9  connections to the
Queue Manager and the channel initiator will use the number of connections
specified  in ADAPS parameter of CSQ6CHIP (default =20).
The CICS and CHINIT connections contribute to CTHREADS but have no link to
IDFORE or IDBACK .

I know this doesn't give you a specific answer but I hope it helps.

cheers,

Paul K

Morag Hughson
WebSphere MQ for z/OS Development