From: Ganapathy, Sundari (Cognizant) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 5:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

Hi,
We have an application running on OS/390 and placing messages in AIX. We do
not employ any conversion in this case. This set up works just fine.
But when we ran our application program on a different S390 and AIX, the
messages that arrive in the AIX were of EBCDIC format. Why would this happen
and why did this not arise in our case ? Is there something like a
"built-in" character set encoding which was recognized on the first AIX and
not built-in in the second one.

The queue in which the messages are placed will contain ASCII and EBCDIC
messages. So would that be a problem when I supply an MQGMO_CONVERT option
for the MQGET from the queue ?

And if I have to do the conversion would the following steps suffice :
1. On MQPUT on the S390, set the mqmd.Format to MQFMT_STRING
2. On MQGET on the AIX, set the mqgmo.Options = MQGMO_CONVERT

The data in the message is only character, no numeric or binary data is
involved.

Thanks in Advance
Sundari