Dave,

A computer stores time/date in GMT even if it displays in your local time.  The computer just does a + or - on GMT according to the time zone you set and whether you have daylight savings time enabled.  The display of the time is usually converted by the OS for your convenience.  Since the put time is stored on a message that may move across many time zones, it makes the most sense the store it in GMT which is the universal time.  That way all machines, regardless of time zone, can tell what time it really was when the message was put.  Otherwise if a message crossed time zones, a message may have a put time that is earlier than the actual time at the destination.

Want to see this in action?  Look at a folder in Windows and note the date/time of some files.  Change the time change on your Windows settings.  After that, refresh or reopen Windows explorer and look at the date/time again.  You'll see it has adjusted to the time zone set in the OS.  The time is stored in GMT.

Mike Murphy
Sr. Middleware Consultant

MQ Solutions, LLC