A "Sun Blade" is a workstation so that is the first concern.  These also come in various sizes, number of CPU, memory and so forth so this is really not enough information.  You have to consider all the resources and application design to size your server.  You 300,000 per hour is really nothing to an enterprise server, but may be too much for your workstation.  Here are some observations about your post and my comments:

1)  You are using a SAN.  This is fast so I/O should be pretty good.  A SAN should buffer the data and write later so your app and queue manager can go about their business.
2)  Non-persistent messages are written to memory, not to a file.  However, there is a limit to this buffer and then it writes to disk.  If your receiving app gets the message at the same time it is put, it actually never even hits the queue, it is just a hand-off.  The troubling part is you mention larger messages going in the same direction as the reply.  The larger messages can fill up the queue buffer faster and cause disk I/O sooner.
3)  Is there any distributed queuing?  It almost sounds like you are connecting to another queue manger but that is not mentioned.  If this is so, you also have to consider network bottlenecks that can cause queue build-up.  Also if the large message go across the same channel as your replies, you will slow down the reply messages.  Consider a separate channel for large messages and replies so a large message does not hold up a small reply.  Of course you don't mention size.  If large to you is 500 bytes, don't worry about this.
4)  How much of the machine will the applications use up?  Memory, CPU time, disk space, disk I/O?  If you push the machine too far you can cause it to crawl.  Be careful about this.

Overall, the machine can probably handle it.  The question is how well will it perform.  I mean I could probably do this on my laptop, but it will be running pretty slowly.  I do know of NT machines with two 400 mhz processors handling such a workload and they do fine.  But they could do better.  It depends on how important the application is to you.

Mike Murphy
Sr. Middleware Consultant

MQ Solutions, LLC
http://www.mqsolutions.com