I am trying to size a page set and am puzzled by this:

I have an application that put  approximately 1,000,000+    320 byte
persistent messages on an MVS queue.

When I display page set usage, the page set display shows this:

CSQI018I (MQSF CSQIDUSE PAGE SET 2 HAS 1002286 DATA PAGES. 987 ARE
UNUSED,   1001299 HOLD PERSISTENT DATA AND 0 HOLD NONPERSISTENT DATA

Why are so many data pages required to hold  320 bytes (+control
information) messages?
The manual states that MQ tries to put multiple "short" messages into a
data page..
Any thoughts.
And yes,
only this queue is defined to this storage class and hence this page set...
The message length was set to 320 as verified by browsing messages and
message header
We checked the definitions for this test..
Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks
Milt

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended
addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of
this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this message.