MQ can easily handle a million 1K messages. Whether you have the resources (queue
space, log space, network bandwidth, etc.) is another question that will take a little
elbow grease on your part.  You also need to factor in how much time you have to
send/process the messages, service time requirements per message, lifetime of the
messages, scope of UOW's, competing workload, etc.  You are wise to be concerned, but
that is business-as-usual; I see nothing to be alarmed about.