What I have done in the past is dump the contents of the message using one
of the sample programs provided when you install MQM on the platform in
question. On a Windows system, this would be something like <Drive
Letter>:\Program Files\IBM\MQSeries\Tools\C\Samples\Bin\amqsbcg.  This
utility will view or browse the message on the DLQ, dumping the contents of
that message to your console.  It will NOT read the message off the queue.

In the body of the message dumped, review the 6th word (11th and 12th
bytes).  Since the error code is in hexadecimal, if you have a UNIX machine
around, simply do the following at the command line:

bc
ibase=16
07EE
CNTRL-D

BC is a binary calculator.  ibase means BC will read its input in base 16
vs. base 10.  All input values need to be in UPPERCASE.  The decimal
equivalent of 07EE is 2030.  Now take that value and look it up either in
MQSeries Information Center or use the following command on UNIX systems -
grep 2030 /usr/include/cmqc.h.  The returned string of the last example will
give you why the message got redirected to the DLQ.  Other codes you may
find in the DLQ are as follows:

HEX            DECIMAL             ERROR DESCRIPTION
07EE           2030                Message Too Big for Queue
07EF           2031                Message Too Big for Queue Manager
0805           2053                Queue Full
0835           2101                MQ Object Damaged
08AA           2218                Message Too Big for Channel

Stephan C. Moen