I think I joined the thread part way through. Now I'm playing catchup. I've
read you original message which I'll add my 2p (English money) in
revers(ish) order:

Q3. I then defined a local queue on QMHUB and used one of the spoke QMs to
send non-persistent message to it. 1 GIG worth actually. Now these are not
written to disk, cause they are not persistent, so where are they, in
memory? I see the queue file grew by over a GIG, so doesn't that mean they
are on disk, even though they are non persistent?

A3: I would expect these to remain in memory until you exceed the amount of
memory allocated to hold these messages, after which MQ must store them on
disk, surely?

Q1. On day 1, is there any data being written to disk by QMHUB as the
messages fly thru? I assume no, since they are not persistent (but see Q3
below [ above - J]).

A1: See question 1. Messages may get logged to disk if MQ runs out of
allocated cache memory.

Q2. On day 2, even though we have 2 CPUs, we still have only 1 QM, so I
assume all the non persistent messages throughput must be affected by the
persistent messages. My reasoning is, as the persistent messages go in and
out of the QMAliases, and in and out of the XMIT queues, it has to "stop"
and log, right? And if it has to stop and log, then it can't be handling the
non persistent ones at the same time right? They have to wait?

A3: Elsewhere you mentioned changing the channels to normal rather thanfast.
To me this means non-psist messages get sent in sequence and are
acknowledged by the channels. Now your messages sit in transmission queues
and get read in turn and sent (again waiting for acks from the receiving
end). You want this to stop losing messages (though exactly why I'm not sure
since they're not psistent and will die if the QM is restarted - another
discussion).

Since you now have non & psistent messages mixed in a XMITQ, I would expect
the psistent onces to "get in the way" of non-persisten ones since they'll
be read in batches and sent and acknowledged by the receiving end.

However, these are only mixed by XMITQ. Thus if you have all persistent
going to SPOKEQM1 and all non-persistent going to SPOKEQM2, I would not
expect SPOKEQM2's messages to be delayed by SPOKEQM1's persistent messages.

Regards
John.