Someone in this thread needs to remember his Economics 101 and the classic
supply-demand curves. At the same time we expect decent wages we also expect lower
prices for "the things that we buy". The manufacturers of "the things that we buy"
constantly look for ways to lower the cost of manufacturing, sales and distribution so
that their products are most attractively priced so that we tend to buy theirs.
Lowering costs is why companies turn to other sources for their IT
requirements.....because we, IT workers, are also consumers. We have again met the
enemy and it is us.   Start buying products without regard to price and things may
change. Otherwise everyone on this thread needs to read the ancient, but still
applicable, "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations" by Adam
Smith in which he describes the famous 'invisible hand' which describes our economic
behaviors. An excerpt (quote):
Every individual necessarily labors to render the annual revenue of the society as
great as he can. He generally neither intends to promote the public interest, nor
knows how much he is promoting it...He intends only his own gain, and he is in this,
as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part
of his intention. Nor is it always the worse for society that it was no part of his
intention. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society
more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much
good done by those who affected to trade for the public good.
Is anyone on this thread immune to what is stated there?

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/18/03 08:42AM >>>
HUMMM. Sounds like the start of the Great Depression. Too many goods and no
one to buy them. Which leads to corporate cut backs which leads to more no
one to buy products which..........

I feel the teeth sinking into my American butt as we speak!! We have finally
caught our perverbal tail and are eating ourselves! Too smart for our own
good!!

                   bobbee

>From: "Fryett.Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Spiraling downhill (OT)
>Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:25:27 -0400
>
>The problem honestly is not that American cars were bad back then, it was
>the fact we wanted to support our local salvage yard where cousin bud
>worked.
>
>Truly what I have found over the years is US workers have become to
>comfortable in their jobs, and that created laziness among a number of
>them.  Then the DOT.COM's crashed occurred and many investors,
>corporations, and VC's discovered they bought into vaporware.  So, when
>corporations realized they over extended themselves they decided the best
>way to resolve the issue was to outsource certain parts of the companies
>projects overseas and fire/layoff the US workers.  Heck, if you had to pay
>someone $0.10 - $0.30 to the $1.00 and it was your money wouldn't you?  So,
>how do you compete with it?  You can't unless you are willing to work for
>less and that is exactly what is happening.  The butt heads of the past
>screwed it up for us today.  Also the problem is the cost-of-living isn't
>going down to compensate for this reduction so now you'll have to work two
>or three jobs to equal what you make now.  Say good-bye to your kids and
>spouse because you will not see them for a long time.  Also, get your grave
>arranged, because the stress alone will kill you quicker than smoking.
>
>It may be time to go back to school and become a psychologist where you can
>sleep through your counseling sessions, and on occasion say "That sounds
>interesting have you tried another way to handle that".  Sorry, regressing
>;^)
>
>Chris

Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use only by the individual or
entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error,  please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
 Thank you.