Hello Randy,

If you leave MCAUSER blank (' '), the channel agent will actually run on behalf of the
user as reported by the client. The details of user names used are in the book (mostly
"Clients" and "Intercommunication" as far as I can remember) but they depend on both
client platform and server platform. For NT to NT, I beleive, the "strongest" security
check is performed which involves domain controller and similar stuff (like user
provides its SID or something similar -- but do not  hold me to it please)).

Yes, it is mostly "authentification by assertion" especially if you beleive the
attacker can forge the MQ protocol completely. But still slightly better than nothing.

SSL looks the way to go. I got it working, with streaming type of ciphers like RC4 x
128 x SHA it must be reasonably fast and reliable. 3DES would slow down things, but
even using it I do not beleive SSL would become a bottleneck, especially considering
MQ performance. Much faster MOMs like those from Tibco or Vitria are using SSL and
that makes me think the slowdown will be relatively insignificant with MQ. What will
suffer is an initial connection time because the keystore decryption algorithms are
traditionally made slow -- and for good reasons. It takes especially a while to
complete any single operation with .kdb database with IBM's gsk; JDK's keytool is much
faster working with .jks databases but still takes time. (your SSL participants may
need to use both: queue manager will use kdb and client can use .kdb (C clients, not
tried) or .jks (Java clients, tried)).

Hope this will help,
Pavel

                      "Crowder, Randall"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      ALCITY.COM>                    cc:

                      Sent by: MQSeries List         Subject:  Re: Stopping NT
Local/System account access for the client
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      06/18/2003 04:37 PM

Thanks Wyatt,

This is great info... I don't think the MCAUSER parm is really what I need.
It appears that it just gives the connecting client the rights of the user
specified in MCAUSER (as checked by OAM)... What keeps an ill intentioned
person from connecting to another server conn channel?

Sounds like the exit that restricts by incoming IP is more like what I
need...  I don't really want to use SSL because of the overhead.

Thanks again...
Randy