One would think that MQ Series would have figured out how to make this
function properly after so many years of having the SAME problem.

The issue arises because certain of the MQ Series dll's interact with the
operating system performance hooks, and products such as Tivoli, Netfinity,
Antivirus software and others invoke code in several of MQ Series' dlls,
most notably AMQXCS2.DLL.

One of the earlier CSD readme's dealt with this issue and there is some
sort of document on IBM's databases documenting this problem on earlier
releases of MQ Series (5.1?) .  I don't think IBM has done a good job of
continuing to communicate the issue as product releases and CSD's moved
forward.  Indeed there's some inconsistencies in the installation processes
because some of the older CSD's actually shut MQ Series down for you when
they began.

Most of the CSD's I've installed recently fail to attempt to shut MQ Series
down.  Further, they're prone to go off and do an awful lot of work and
then spit out a rather nebulous message (as shown below) in response to a
problem that they've known about for years.  At the very least, you'd think
they could tell you WHAT DLL was in use, even if they can't tell by whom.
Then deal with the issue in the readme or other CSD or release
documentation.

The methods I've used to mitigate this problem are:

- when we were running older Netfinity Monitoring software, I would always
STOP the Netfinity monitoring service in the Services applet from the
control panel.  This would usually resolve the problem with this type of
configuration.
- as I recall, there were two DLLs that were offenders in this realm.  One
was AMQXCS2.DLL,and I forget the name of the other.  If stopping the
Netinity monitoring service didn't resolve the problem, I would rename the
offending dll.  Note that the only way you can rename one of these things
that is in use is by the use of the 'ren' command from a command prompt.
All the other windows utilities and the 'del' command interface with the
operating system and know when a file is in use and won't let you delete or
rename it.  The 'ren' command evidently does not check to see if the file
is in use before renaming it.  Once it's been renamed (to something like
amqxcs2.dll.old), the install usually works.

I've discussed this issue many times with various members of the MQSeries
support staff.  If this issue is raised by more people, and perhaps in
larger forums like SHARE or GUIDE, maybe they'll catch on and address this
issue in a better manner.

|         |           "Potkay, Peter M   |
|         |           (PLC, IT)"         |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           RTFORD.COM>        |
|         |           Sent by: MQSeries  |
|         |           List               |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           AC.AT>             |
|         |           07/30/2003 09:14 AM|
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           MQSeries List      |

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |        To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                |
  |        cc:
                                      |
  |        Subject: Re: Applying CSD04 for MQ v5.3
                                      |

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Make sure you have no runmq* or amq* processes running in Task Manager.
Make sure there are no MQ monitoring tools still running, like Tivoli or
QPASA.
Make sure Norton Antivirus is off.
Make sure the MQServices Icon in the taskbar tray in the lower right hand
corner is no longer there. Sometimes you have to even roll your mouse over
it to make it disappear after you killed the service!
Give all this a couple of minutes to give Windows a chance to clean up
internally.

I have found other products that lock MQ files as well, like performance
tools and Compaq Version Control.

The easiest way to find out is to download the following:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/listdlls.shtml

Here are the instructions I wrote up for myself on how to use this little
gem:
1.Put the listdlls.exe into a folder on the server, like maybe
E:\Programs\IBM\MQSeries\MQSupportTools.

2.CD into that directory from the dos prompt.

3.Run the executable, and pipe the output into a text file. Here is a
sample
of what you would type assuming you placed the executable file as in step
1:
E:\Programs\IBM\MQSeries\MQSupportTools\listdlls.exe >DLLOutput.txt

4.Open DLLOutput.txt and do a search on "MQ". Scroll up to see what .exe is
using this MQ dll.

5.Stop the application that is using the MQ dll and you should be all set.
If you do not recognize what this  .exe is, use Process Explorer
(procexp.exe). http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml You
can find the exe in there, and it will tell you what app it is.

And make sure you don't do the following, which I wasted an hour on last
night when I did it!

Create a folder ../WebSphere MQ/CSD04
Put the CSD04 .exe file in this folder.
When it asks you where to extract the install files, you pick the same
folder.
When it asks you where to install CSD04, you pick the same folder.
If you do this, you will get the MQ in use error! Some sort of loop I
guess.
Download, extract and install into 3 different folders.