From: Neil Casey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Aug-14-2003 06:39
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Websphere MQ for Windows

Hi Brent,

An MQOPEN call is not always the same as every other MQOPEN call.

IBM "simplified" the MQ API by keeping the number of separate calls small.
In order to provide a rich functionality in this low call number
environment, each of the calls has many options. When you issue MQOPEN for
a queue type object, you are able to specify whether you want to open for
"input exclusive", "input shared", "output" or several other things like
"inquire" and various browse options.

When you issue open against a QLOCAL, all of the options are supported.
When you issue MQOPEN against a QREMOTE, the input... and browse type
options are not supported, because the queue is not hosted locally. If you
look in the excerciser, you will see check boxes for the various open
options.

If you are used to using some other queueing models, the MQSeries model may
not come naturally. Some products maintain the queues in a central
repository, and everyone can put or get from any queue (possibly subject to
security controls). MQ does not work this way. MQ queue managers operate
autonomously, and provide their clients with 2 major things. 1, you can
send messages anywhere; and 2, you can retrieve messages from you own queue
manager. Of course this is severely simplified and you can actually do much
more, but when you boil it down... that's about it.

MQPUT1 works because internally it opens the queue only for OUTPUT. If you
set the open options to OUTPUT, your open will work, and then MQPUT will
work as well.

Regards,

Neil Casey.

|         |           Brent Ireland    |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
|         |           Sent by: MQSeries|
|         |           List             |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           n.AC.AT>         |
|         |           15/08/2003 06:49 |
|         |           MQSeries List    |

-----------------------------------|

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: Websphere MQ for Windows

I am using the FIRST STEPS API Exerciser that is part of the MQ
installation
on the server to do MQPUT and MQPUT1 calls.

Q1. OK
Q2. If you are saying you can't MQOPEN a remote queue for input how is it
possible that
the MQPUT1 command worked since it does an MQOPEN, MQPUT and MQCLOSE all in
one command.
Q3. OK.