Bill

I know that this is an apples to oranges comparison but  we've found that 3
Sender channels between 2 full Qmanagers
gets the best throughput.

If

1 channel =100%

2 channels =150%

3 channels =177%

4 channels =125% at this point MQ sends less data than 2 channels.

This was 2 ZOS Qmanagers at 5.2 level with SCON connected TCPIP channels
between to sites.

1500 byte messages with a batchsize of 50.

This is still far far below the throught put you would get if you blocked
the messages.

Richard Jackson
SIAC -
CICS/MQ Systems

                      Bill Anderson
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      TA.AERO>                 cc:       (bcc: Richard Jackson/SIAC)
                      Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:  MQ Channel Communication
Overhead and Limited Bandwidth
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      n.ac.at>

                      09/08/2003 11:06
                      AM

I have a customer in Germany, who is displeased with the throughput he is
getting with his client connection to my server in Atlanta. Please see the
encrypt from an email I received from him below.

Relating to our 32Bit-Frame-Relay-Connection between Germany and Atlanta,
I've some more questions.

1. 240KB a minute is the theoretical limit of the bandwidth

2.1  with big messages (e.g. 2397 bytes) we reach following limits:
2.2  from Germany to Atlanta (MQPUT)
2.3  90 msgs per minute => 210 KB bandwidth
2.4  from Atlanta to Germany (MQGET)
2.5  82 msgs per minute => 191 KB bandwidth

3.1  with small messages (e.g. 288 bytes) we reach following limits:
3.2  from Germany to Atlanta (MQPUT)
3.3  160 msgs per minute => 45 KB bandwidth
3.4  from Atlanta to Germany (MQGET)
3.5  116 msgs per minute => 33 KB bandwidth

Now, the customers assumption is that the problem is with the queue manager
in Atlanta, I am not convinced he is correct. I know there is a
communication over head for using an MQ channel. I believe it is just over
1500 K, but I can't find the exact number in the manuals. Does anyone
happen to know what it is?

The customer currently connects as a client, but they do run a full queue
manager. I do believe building them a sender / receiver pair of channels
might help some, but what they are asking is multiple channels. If
bandwidth is the problem, more channel won't help much I'm sure.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Bill Anderson