From: Pavel Tolkachev [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 September 2003 14:28
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Security with Server Connection channels

Well, denial of service attack is always there, of course (I did not try it
myself with MQ and listener pool, to be completely honest). Of course, I
assume your system will use only SSL channels to have a strong authentication
and confidentiality on the wire. Do not forget to set SSL_PEER to actually
authenticate clients. It is slightly inconvenient though as you can only
accept a single distinguished name per a channel instance -- but this is how
it's done in MQ.

Also, be careful with triggering and DLQ (and DLQ handlers) *inside* the
cluster -- of course, the attacker must penetrate the SSL perimeter to try to
take advantage of them. The threat here is that a legal, but restricted, user
may try to get more privileges in trigger/dlq handler than s/he is supposed to
have. That's one reason why I try to never use any of triggering / dlq
handling.

I am sure there are other threats, just because they are always there (access
to system queues?) but I cannot think of anything concrete right away. Will
let you know if (when?) I will run into anything.

Hope this will help,
Pavel

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      .AU                      To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      Sent by: MQSeries        cc:
                      List                     Subject:  Security with Server
Connection channels
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      n.AC.AT>

                      09/10/2003 01:33
                      AM

Howdy all,

I need some thoughts on possible security vulnabilities.

If I have an MQ server being used as a gateway into a cluster, (it holds no
queues) and no command server is running and a pool of listners are running
for clients to connect with using a server connection channel, can anyone do
anything malicious to my cluster.

The platform would be Linux (red hat) and MQ v5.3 is installed, no other inetd
services are installed.

Sid Young B I.T. (cs dc) AD (cse)

DBA
Intranet Developer
Analyst / Programmer

Information Systems Department

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

QML Pathology Phone: (07) 3840 4941 Fax: Fax??? This is the 21st Century!
www.qml.com.au

 60 Ferry Rd
 West End, QLD 4101

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain sensitive and
private proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the
intended recipient, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from
your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must
not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any
part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. CREDIT SUISSE
GROUP and each legal entity in the CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON or CREDIT SUISSE
ASSET MANAGEMENT business units of CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON reserve the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the
views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative  only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to
deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the terms of executed transactions
should be treated as  preliminary only and subject to our formal written
confirmation.