No, that's working as designed. The Programming Reference manual says "An
attempt to put a message on a queue that
already contains MaxQDepth messages fails with reason code MQRC_Q_FULL."

But once the application has received the 2053, it can then do whatever it
wants with the message (actuall, it's a potential message at this point).
The receiver channel program chooses to put the message to the DLQ, after
it maybe does some retrying. A user-written application can do something
different. From what I've seen, these apps generally fail.

It's probably clearer if you don't think of this as a sending app doing
delivery. The application program is really just another app writing to a
local queue - the transmit queue in this case. It's the channel that is the
sending app. It's set up to act as you say regarding the DLQ, but it isn't
running.

                      Bill Anderson
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      TA.AERO>                 cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:  Full Queue / Dead Letter Q
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      N.AC.AT>

                      10/16/2003 03:36
                      PM

I recently had a customer transmission queue fill up because there receiver
channel was down. Because I am in Atlanta Ga. and they are in Germany, it
takes time to resolve such issues.

But, I was surprised that once the transmit queue was full, messages were
not placed on the dead letter queue. The sending application was just
failing with a 2053. The queue manager dose have a default dead letter
queue defined, and that queue does exist (SYSTEM.DEAD.LETTER.QUEUE). I have
always believed that if a message cannot be delivered for any reason it
goes to the dead letter queue if one is defined. Is that true?

Bill Anderson
Senior Systems Analyst
SITA Atlanta, GA
770-303-3503 (office)