Ensure that you have TCPKEEP=YES set in your channel initiator parameters
(CSQXPARM built from CSQ6CHIP Macro) and also ensure that KeepAlive is set
on in your TCP/IP settings.

Quick plug for new SupportPac MA0C
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/integration/support/supportpacs/individual/md0c.html
See page 25-26 for keepalive details.
Also see the Intercommunication guide, Chapter 6. Channel Attributes

Cheers
Morag

Morag Hughson
WebSphere MQ for z/OS Development
Telephone: +44 (0) 1962 816900
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

on MVS, Keep Alive Interval is a channel attribute. To test its
effectiveness, I set it to 30 seconds on a receiving MCA on mainframe,
start the channel, then unplug the network cable from the sending side (AIX
box), hoping the status of the receiving MCA on mainframe will become
inactive in about 30 seconds.  But it didn't. I keep the cable off for 5
minutes, the receiving MCA is still in running status.  (Note, to remove
the influence of HBINT and discint in the test, I set them both to very
large values)

However, after I plug the cable back, the sending channel goes into healthy
running state right away.

I tested the same on NT machines. there, after 30 seconds, the receiving
side becomes inactive and ready to be restarted. This is what I had
expected based on my knowledge on TCP/IP KeepAlive. But why is it different
on MVS?

Is anyone working on mainframe aware of this? Can you offer some
explanation?

thanks,

Benjamin F. Zhou
Messaging & Integration