thanks - that is what I thought.   I searched the manuals but did not find
anything to make me100% certain.

                      "Gutekunst, Brant"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      UNGARD.COM>               cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries         Subject:  Re: data conversion if the
channel is doing
                      List                       conversion do I need              to
set    mqmd format to
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         string?
                      .AC.AT>

                      11/11/2003 11:42
                      AM

You still need to set format to string on the MQPUT.  You do not have to
specify MQGMO_CONVERT on the MQGET.