Tom's description is absolutely accurate. [For completeness I might add 3)
STOP MODE(FORCE) was used, but it is a little off topic]

Also, I believe Tom IS an IBMer :-)

Cheers
Morag

Morag Hughson
WebSphere MQ for z/OS Development
Telephone: +44 (0) 1962 816900
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tom,

I was hoping an IBMer would ring in on this one.

Thanks

Bill Anderson
Senior Systems Analyst
SITA Atlanta, GA
770-303-3503 (office)
404-915-3190 (cell)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.mconnect.aero/

                      Tom Schneider
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      OM>                      cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:  Re: Heartbeats and
Disconnect interval
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      N.AC.AT>

                      11/12/2003 02:28
                      PM

Peter,

This is what I think the quoted passage  below is describing:

The sender channel sends the heartbeat flow to the receiver.

The receiver channel code, several versions ago, was blocking, and the
receiver channel was blocked while waiting to have something sent to it by
the sender.

The introduction of heartbeats, which were not in the original product,
allowed an operator on the receiver side of the channel to stop the
channel and have the stop command take affect at the next heartbeat.
Without heartbeats, the receiver was blocked, and the channel could not be
stopped from the receiver end until either 1) the sender sent a message,
or 2) the sender sent some data to inform the receiver that the disconnect
interval had expired.

-Tom

Tom Schneider / IBM Global Services
(513) 274-4034

"Potkay, Peter M (PLC, IT)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
11/12/2003 12:50 PM
Please respond to MQSeries List

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Heartbeats and  Disconnect interval

Sorry, there is now way I can read between the lines on the quote you have
there.

I would certainly take that quote to mean that a Heartbeat would
disconnect
a channel and put it inactive, which is not the way it works.

The quote would be accurate if you just stuck the words "Lack of" in front
of the whole thing. Typo in the manual???