Peter,

The MQSeries Programmable System Management manual shows the reason
qualifiers for a Stopped Channel:

  ReasonQualifier (MQCFIN) Identifier that qualifies the reason code
(parameter identifier: MQIACF_REASON_QUALIFIER).
The value is one of the following:
MQRQ_CHANNEL_STOPPED_OK Channel has been closed with either a zero return
code or a warning return code.
MQRQ_CHANNEL_STOPPED_ERROR Channel has been closed but there is an error
reported and the channel is not in stopped or retry state.
MQRQ_CHANNEL_STOPPED_RETRY Channel has been closed and it is in retry
state.
MQRQ_CHANNEL_STOPPED_DISABLED Channel has been closed and it is in a
stopped state.

Even if a channel is in a cycle of retries, the event will tell you that
and you would know if you have a problem fairly quickly.  You wouldn't have
to wait till the retries are exhausted.   We just had this error condition
occurred, and our monitor knew that we had a problem and raised an alert.

But, if you want a channel event that's truly useless, it's the Channel
Indoubt one.

                      "Potkay, Peter M
                      (PLC, IT)"                  To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         cc:
                      RTFORD.COM>                 Subject: Re:
SYSTEM.ADMIN.CHANNEL.EVENT Queue
                      Sent by: MQSeries
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      AC.AT>

                      01/07/2004 03:01 PM

Nick, you cannot explicitly turn off Channel Events, but you can block
their
creation by deleting ot inhibiting their event queue (same result I
guess..potaaatoe / potahhhhtoe)

Speaking of Channel Events, I think they are pretty useless as is. Who
cares
when a channel goes to STOP? That only happens after a looooong time of
retrying or if a user manually put it like that. Odds are by then you know
there is a problem.

An event I want to know about is when a channel goes to and stays in retry,
or binding.  Wishlist for the next version of MQ I guess....