Yes, shame on me -- I was too eager to show the shortest "Hello, World". I have not
been doing any REXX for about 13 years. At least this one
say Hello World
is probably the shortest one for the users who don't care much about missing commas
:-). I just wanted to capitalize on this nice manner of REXX to default the variables
to the strings equal to their names. Such a nice idea for any interpreter but AFAIK
only REXX got it! And the word 'say' seems to be the shortest reasonable verb for
writing to stdout. I have been using it as a function name all the time while coding
in other languagues since the old days.
Sorry for the off-topic.

Pavel

                      Russell Finn
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      IBM.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:  Re: T-Rex distributed systems
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      n.AC.AT>

                      02/04/2004 09:17
                      AM

Almost ,but not quite that simple:

say hello,world
  Oooops ! ... try again.     Unexpected ",", ")", or "]"

You could have had:

say hello world
say 'hello, world'

Russell

Russell Finn
MQSeries System Test
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                           Pavel Tolkachev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                           Sent by: MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                  To:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                        cc:

                                        Subject:        Re: T-Rex distributed systems
                           03/02/2004 13:22
                           Please respond to MQSeries List

And the shortest in the world "Hello, world" program. Just
say Hello, world

:-) Pavel

                     peter d
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                     NE.NET>                  cc:
                     Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:  Re: T-Rex distributed systems
                     List
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                     n.AC.AT>

                     02/02/2004 10:29
                     PM

Rexx with PIPES ... was SO powerful !

We wrote connectors from Shadow Web,  Enterprise Web, and Domino Go to
CICS/IMS/VSAM/DB2/etc with Rexx ... much faster than CGI, much more secure too.

/peter d.