George,

I had opened a service request with MQ support a while back over the
changed behaviour of CSQOREXX at 5.3.    The change is that CSQOREXX now
reacts to JWT where prior to 5.3 is seemed to not be affected by JWT. Here
is part of the reply I got:

"The different behaviour of CSQOREXX is due to changes to the batch stub.
In the past the batch stub has employed a STIMER exit to check for Queue
Manager termination which if detected would post all get waiters. In V5.3
this function is only used for Get with Signal, Get with wait now employes
a ECB/WAIT mechanism. So provided Get With Signal is NOT used time-outs
can occur. "

I think this explains what you are seeing as well.

-Tom

Tom Schneider / IBM Global Services - MQSeries ASC
(513) 274-4034
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Sproull, George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
06/22/2004 11:15 AM

cc

Subject
OS/390 GET WAIT Troubles

Hi,
        We recently upgraded from WebSphere MQ 5.2 to 5.3.1 on an OS/390
2.10 system. We run a homegrown trigger monitor which does a GET WAIT on
the batch initiation queue, it runs as a batch job...not a started task.
The JWT on this system is set at 15 minutes. For some reason, it seems
that under MQ 5.2 the batch job did NOT abend with a S522 (JWT Timeout),
but when we implemented MQ 5.3.1 it started to timeout.
        Was there some architecture change between releases that would
account for this? I assumed the GET WAIT caused the program to wait on an
ECB, but I can't figure out why it would not time out under MQ
5.2........was there some sort of keepalive handshake going on under the
covers?
                                                Thanks for any response,
                                                        George

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this email in error please notify the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com