Just to pick up on the standalone JMS situation:

Shantanu Upadhyaya wrote:

 if we map this to standalone JMS programs, we are allowed to create
 multiple receivers / senders within one session. For eg, if we
 created 2 receivers, it would mean two receivers are concurrently
 receiving messages. We could also create multiple session, but they
 are not thread safe.

As you correctly state, JMS Session instances are not thread safe, hence however many consumers or producers you create on a single session you will never get concurrent messaging activity. This applies even if you assign multiple asynchronous listeners to the session - messages will still be processed sequentially. If you want concurrent message processing it is necessary to use multiple sessions.

Regards,
James.