If you forget to set it, you will see:

AMQ7203: Purchased processor allowance not set (use setmqcap).

EXPLANATION:
The purchased processor allowance for this installation has not been set.
ACTION:
Ensure sufficient license units have been purchased and use the MQ setmqcap
command to set the purchased processor allowance for this installation.
Refer
to the Quick Beginnings book for more information.

If you do not set it high enough, you will get:

07/07/04  14:26:03
AMQ7202: The number of license units is sufficient for all future possible
upgrades to this machine.

EXPLANATION:
The purchased processor allowance for this installation has been set to -1,
which allows any permitted processor configuration.
ACTION:
None.
---

Since this is tied to IBM licensing for the product, I believe you are
required to set it properly.  When I forget to set it, the queue manager
comes up and seems to function fine, however you do get a warning message
similar to the above.

Thanks
    Frank
    201-269-4071