Hello Brian,

We have experienced similar problems recently although I cannot tell you what exactly
patch was applied. The core reasons turned to be the soft limit of file descriptors
per process which, according to the quick beginnings book, must be boosted to 1024 (I
recommend 2048) but this is often overlooked because it shows slightly aside of the
kernel level parameter table that everyone looks after, and, until applying some
Solaris kernel patch (mysteriously claimed as LDAP security patch or similar), it does
not emerge as a problem. The default value is 256, I guess. The problem can be masked
by ulimut settings in your /etc/profile (in which case ulimit may report large value
than MQ will have when started by startup script), so I suggest you to go directly to
/etc/system and add
set rlim_fd_cur=1024
(or better 2048) if it is not there already -- and reboot (the latter is not
theoretically necessary, you can use ulimit or even plimit and then the new value from
/etc/system will go in effect after the next reboot, but we are on a shaky ground
here).

Hope this will help,
Pavel

                      "Bumpass, Brian"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      CHOVIA.COM>              cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:  MQSeries and Sun libc Patch
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      n.AC.AT>

                      07/08/2004 10:31
                      AM

I need your help...

I am working with IBM and SUN concerning a failure starting QMgrs following
the implementation of Sun Patches including the libc patch -- on Solaris 8
this would be 108993-##.   I have tried patch revisions 33 & 36 to no real
success.  The SUN BugID is 5017781.  The failing call is "setgrent()".
Interesting note this problem is also supposed to occur on Solaris 9;
however, no problems have been experienced.

Additionally, I have experimented with CSD05, CSD06, & CSD07 hoping this has
fixed things.   From my experiences CSD05 has caused the least problems with
the latest patches.   With the others, intermittent hard failures have
occured with the newer libc patches.

I am slowly finding myself fall into that downward spiral of the vendors
pointing fingers at each other and me the customer stuck in the middle.

Has anyone experienced this....

Thanks in advance,
-B

Brian Bumpass
Wachovia Bank
Enterprise Infrastructure
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone - (704) 590-5620
Pager - (800) 425-2613

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or