Gunilla

Queue service interval and queue depth high are queue attributes to be set
and performance events to be turned on for the queue manager in order to
pick up these kind of events on the remote queue manager.  You could also
set these up for the XMITQ used locally to transport messages to the remote
queue manager.

ALTER QMGR +
PERFMEV(ENABLED)
ALTER QLOCAL('MYQUEUE ')+
QSVCINT(10000)+
QSVCIEV(HIGH)

Regularly issue RESET QSTATS command for the target queue will give you
rough idea of message rates or throughput.  I believe many of the vendor
supplied monitors can do the same or better.

Read up on these topics:

Index of manuals:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/integration/mqfamily/library/manualsa/index.
html

Event Monitoring:
http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/csqzax04.pdf

Script (MQSC) Command Reference:
http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/csqzaj09.pdf

Hopefully you have a vendor supplied monitor to pick these kind of events or
points of interest.

Vendor products for monitoring/administration:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/integration/mqfamily/directory/index.html

SupportPacs:

MS0K: WebSphere MQ - Events Monitor Tool -
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=203&uid=swg24006710&loc=en_US&cs
=utf-8&lang=en

MO01: MQSeries Event queue monitor
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=203&uid=swg24000676&loc=en_US&cs