Wouldn't it be possible to have the test machine generate the ref. image
itself, for instance the first time a (new) visual test is run?

This would solve any enviro discrepancy (in addition to differences in
rendering, for instance a small difference in fonts used or in anti-aliasing
or any other detail, may generate a false positive).

Also, a 1-pixel difference -- which seems to cover the majority of
differences in the example test run -- may be rather irrelevant. Any change
to make the test (a little bit) more tolerant? Ultimately, a visual test
makes sense for differences which are *visible*: I think my eye is not
untrained, but I could not spot any *real* difference between the reference
in the test images and the sample test run.

M.