@Marc

> > Moreover, there are a lot of guitarists (more then half of the
> > guitarists/electric bass players I know) that never learned standard
> > notation, so they will not  be able to write scores for other
> > instruments if at some point they need to.
>
> Point taken, but still, if tab is the only kind of notation you can
> write, you'll only be able to write scores for stringed instruments.
> Seems odd to have a feature just to let non-reading guitarists create
> scores for violin but not for piano or trumpet.

For instruments without strings, they write tabs for standard guitar ( 6
strings - standard tunning EADGBE ) which is
translated into standard notation. But as you said separate tabulature
entries should be added just for instruments that usually use them. I don't
think that there are at the moment many non-reading guitarists that use
MuseScore. I would consider these ideas in the future, if at some point
MuseScore decides to add them as specific target for user base.

Still, what Miwarre wrote in response makes sense to me: the
> instruments.xml *should* include the string data for all stringed
> instruments "just because" - you never know how it might come in handy.
> So no editing of instruments.xml (by the user) will be necessary if this
> change is made.  But we should only include separate "tablature" entries
> in the list (as it appears in the dialog) for instruments for which
> writing tablature is actually common.  That means there were would be an
> electric bass entry - and separate entry for 5-string electric too, I
> think - but not for acoustic bass or violin.  But if you wanted to write
> tab for acoustic bass or violin, you would be able to do so just by
> editing the staff properties - the string data would already be there.

Sure, I agree with that argument for including string data.

> I'm sorry, I've missused the  phrase "hard coded". I see that I can
> > tune the instrument in the way I want and I can add strings to it, but
> > if I add a string to the guitar for exemple, even though in the staff
> > properties is says "Number of strings 7", there are only 6 lines in
> > the tab. The number of strings that are set in the staff properties
> > should match the number of lines from the tab.
>
> One thing that might not have been clear from Miwarre's response: while
> he is right that we can't *automatically* change the number of staff
> lines in accordance with the number of strings, you can change the
> number of staff lines yourself, elsewhere in that same dialog (currently
> via the "Change Type" button, although there is an outstanding PR to
> restructure this dialog).

@Miwarre
I have to say that from the way MuseScore is now, I would choose option A
from your list. Now that I see that I can do any configuration I want form
staff properties, as a user how uses guitars and basses with various number
of strings and tunnings, even if you implement option B, or C, I will still
have to work with the staff properties dialog. Still, that's only my
opinion and I like playing with these kind of configurations, other users
might not want to.