Jim Newton wrote
> So I experimented with playback and it indeed sounds horrible.
> What I want to do now, is something like the Explode command.
> This I'll have musescore translate the encoded Figured Bass into notes on
> a staff which the user can then manipulate manually.

Does not sound simple... But I got the impression that you were after a
real-time Continuo realisation, which would be much more complex (and would
not allow any after-thought corrections).

> With regard to your question of how to interpret ambiguous notation.  Yes
> of course you are correct.
> I suspect the final solution will have a GUI to allow the user to control
> the meanings of certain ambiguous items.
>
> The first ambiguity I encountered is that sometimes lack of a FB under a
> note means "don't play a chord", but sometimes it means "play the obvious
> chord".

Ah! You got to the bottom line! The main problem is that "obvious": what is
"obvious" for us now is not necessarily what for "obvious" for, say,
Telemann, which in turn was different from what was "obvious" for
Monteverdi. There is no shortcut out if this conundrum, I believe, except
study, study and study under the guide of a good teacher, accompanied by
practice, practice and practice...

And, beside, there is "always" a chord, unless *you* as the performer choose
not to have one; the written indication when the author does not want chords
is "tasto solo" (roughly meaning: "play just one key", understood: the note
actually appearing in the bass part).

> I was thinking of using a rule of thumb:  No notation under the tonic,
> dominant, or subdominant means "play the obvious chord", otherwise it
> means "no chord".

See above...

EDIT: the penny dropped! By "no chord" you mean "no *new* chord" (i.e. hold
the previous one). This more or less amounts to detect which bass notes are
passing notes (if I got the right English term) and which are not. Another
point which was "obvious" to "them" and might not be to "us".

As I play a bass instrument, I would like to become a continuist (life span
permitting...), but I cannot pretend to be a decent one now. The advice of a
"real" Continuo player is required, to arrive at guide lines which could
guess the right notes more often than not.

Maurizio