It occurred to me that some of the complexities we are regularly facing with
linked staves may stem from the fact that the current concept of staff
linking gathers together two rather different types of links:

1) The *score part <=> separate part* link: the basic idea here is
that the two staves are the same representation of the same music and then
the separate part is a rather exact copy of the part as it appears in the
score and the majority of the details should be linked, with the possible
exception of the 'outermost' features having to do, for instance, with page
layout (scaling, line breaks, and so on).

2) The link between *two different staves in the same score*: the basic idea
here is that the two staves are two different representations of the same
music and then, in principle, the majority of the details -- above the
'innermost' ones, like note pitches -- should *not* (could not? might not?)
be linked. By far the most common case of this kind of link is the link
between staves of different types, and it is not possible to take for
granted that any or most aspects of one representation can be transferred to
the other.

An example occurred to me, while working on  this PR
<https://github.com/musescore/MuseScore/pull/2235>  , having to do with
beaming in historic tablatures. Beam mode is currently a linked feature and
in case 1) above (score part & separate part) this makes perfect sense; but
in case 2) above (two different staves linked together) it does not (or not
necessarily): beaming practices might be different in the two
representations (in fact they *are* different) and the beaming setting for
one might be inappropriate for the other.

I have no ready-made answer or solution, not even a clear idea of all the
sides of the matters involved and I assume the border lines defining the
'innermost' or 'outermost' features evoked above will anyway be a matter of
compromise. But I suspect this concept of staff linking deserves some more
thought and/or re-evaluation.

Thanks,

Maurizio

Note: the idea floating around since a while of allowing linking / unlinking
of individual elements would affect this point only marginally. To expand on
the example given above about beaming, unlinking the beam mode of a single
chord (assuming this would ever be possible) would not be particularly
useful, as the point is that, by default, beaming mode should be linked for
all chords in case 1) but unlinked for all chords in case 2).