On 20/10/15 01:35, ChurchOrganist wrote:
> Unfortunately, as I understand it, the SF2 format does not allow for this
> method of storage, being designed to be packaged up into a standalone
> soundfont, unlike SFZ which can store the samples separately.
>
> Storage as .WAV could lead to all sorts of problems related to the loss of
> loop and tuning information which is not currently supported by the standard
> RIFF wave format, although certain applications such as Sony's SoundForge
> will store this information as part of the header.

Indeed. So the solution I suggested is storing this loop and tuning
information in a separate description file and then designing a system
to automatically generate the SF2 out of this file and the WAVs, as if
you were compiling a binary out of source code files.

This could be done perhaps by simply maintaining the library in SFZ
format and manually using Polyphone's GUI to make the conversion to SF2.
Or maybe a simple command-line SFZ to SF2 converter, perhaps supporting
only the minimal features necessary for this particular library to keep
things simple, could be developed using code from one of the projects I
cited.

Just brainstorming a bit.

Cheers,

Luis