Hi,

You are working on this one right https://musescore.org/en/node/102186
There is no way to know if a staff is for a banjo or not. Checking the
number of staff lines or the midi program are not safe ways.
I believe you need to come up with a more global approach about this
problem. Maybe it needs to be solved at the Strings definition level?

I don't know much about fretted instrument. Are there any other instrument
with the same construct? A string with less frets than others?
I assume the problem is mainly while converting standard notation to
tablature. Some people already requested to have a minimum fret for this
(See for example https://musescore.org/en/node/35446). I understand it's a
bit different, but could it be that a solution can cover both cases?

lasconic