I will first try to address the technical aspects of your questions, from
my personal perspective as one of the developers:

I think you'll find this is a far more complex topic than you might
realize.  Just doing the translation from audio to pitches is hard enough,
then on top of that you need to somehow handle the real-time aspect of
figuring out appropriate durations to use in notating the music.  The
latter problem is hard to enough to solve in itself, and really has no
perfect solution, just a series of computer-guesses that often end up need
correcting, just as with importing of MIDI files (eg, if a note last 1.14
beats, do we call it a quarter note, a dotted quarter, or quarter tied to
sixteenth; if it's the note between C and D, do we call it C# or Db, etc).
That said, being able to do that type of processing in real-time would be
extremely useful for people doing MIDI input even without the audio
processing.  So solving the basic real-time input problem for the MIDI case
seems to me the important first step.  Once that is in place - which may
well be more than a single person could get done in a single summer - then
the audio procesisng aspect of it could be tackled.

As for the logistics, from my perspective as a mentor, I think these are
mostly questions for GSoC as a whole.  I believe you'll find they have very
detailed information on the application process.  Regarding test tasks, we
don't have a single one, we just suggest people compile MuseScore for
themselves and start getting familair with the code, fixing bugs in areas
of the code as a way of getting started.  There will probably be more
applicants than slots available, so no, there are no guarantees.  Only you
can decide what that means in terms of whether you want to apply to several
or not.  My guess is that most people probably do, but of course the more
organizations you are applying for, the less time you can devote to each
proposal, so there is probably benefit in being able to focus on just one
or two.

Good luck!

Marc