Jojo wrote:
"Only with MSVC 64bit we will have WebEngine, needed for the online part of the start center." Though that can be done with Qt 5.12 and Qt Creator.  Beyond that I don't know the rationale for any official change of tools.  I'm just trying to use the most normal, median setup, so that I have as few problems as possible going forward.  Depending on my experience over the next couple of days I might move back to Qt Creator.  If editing .ui files is the only thing I need to do in Qt Creator, then that's not a big deal, as I rarely do that.

I have experience with VS2017 from a Web Audio project I did a year ago, so for me it's a consolidation of tools, not a learning of new tools.  I am doing a bunch of different development in different languages, and while Qt Creator has a great editor for C++, it's not so great for JavaScript, CSS, and other stuff I'm doing.  On the other hand, my experience using VS2017 as a JavaScript editor has not been positive during the past day or so, which is disappointing.  Regardless, one less IDE on my PC is a good thing, so I'm still cautiously optimistic about this move to VS2017.