Hallo Graeme,

Du schriebst am Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:31:48 +0100:

> On 23/09/13 11:23, airpas wrote:
> >  how to show line numbers left of the source editor?
> I know it's more "space efficient" to not display them - probably what

Not just that - how often do you really need them?
(I.e. navigate _by_ line number?)

> Martin went for, but it is so handy and common place these days.

I can't readily imagine even one use for them.

(You can directly jump to a specified line number, and to know the
approximate position of the displayed area in the file, you can look at the
scroll bar slider [some of these even show the relative size of the
region displayed in relation to the file size].)