> > Does it really feature coding aware strings ?
>
> I am not sure to understand what you ask.

In new Delphi and fpc versions, strings are "code aware": e.g. you can define a
string to hold a dedicated character encoding. E.g.: "MyANSI_String:
String(CP_ACP);" to define that this variable is to hold characters in the
default ANSI code of the OS, rather than simply using " MyUTF_String: String;"
(which is short for " MyUTF_String: String(CP_DEFAULT);" ) and would mean
UTF-16 encoding with Delphi and UTF-8 encoding with fpc.

If you now do "MyUTF_String := MyANSI_String;", Delphi or fpc would
automatically convert the character encoding appropriately.

But what about mselang on that behalf ?

Maybe MSEIDE is done in a way that it compiles with fpc  (i.e. UTF-8 strings,
unless explicitly denoted otherwise), and allows the meslang String paradigm
(whatever it might be), nonetheless.

-Michael