On 13/04/2019 16:21, fredvs wrote:
> I do not understand so much hate, I did scrupulously follow all the orders
> of Alex.

Fred, don't dispair. Managing an open source project is not always easy.
I think it is fantastic that you at least took the time and effort to
continue Martin's work, instead of just letting it rot.

Ignore what others say - if they don't like your efforts, they can fork
it and see where each version goes. That's reality when it comes to open
source projects. Maybe the forked versions will unite months or years
down the line.

>From my experience, when took up the challenge with fpGUI, after it was
dormant for 6+ years, things went something like this... Nobody was
available to explain anything, so I took it step by step, learning the
internals from receiving the OS events to how it distributes through the
framework and eventually reaches a widget (eg: TButton - I always find
that a good widget to start with). Then I studied the handling of
top-level windows and how they receive events and how painting works.
Once I understood those steps, I had a good enough understanding to
continue development of the fpGUI framework - and eventually [a year
down the line] decided to rewrite everything (yet I still use features
from the original design - not everything was bad). All this takes time
though.

To put it in perspective, Martin has been working on MSEide+MSEgui since
1999! That's 20 years of knowledge to try and learn now. But take it
small steps at a time - like you are doing (from what I understand). One
is bound to make mistakes, but that is how you learn.

Back to fpGUI. In the early days I promoted the idea that I am bringing
fpGUI back to life. I had loads of critics obviously regarding what I
was doing, that I'm wasting my time etc etc.  Lots of talk, but very few
actually had anything to contribute it terms of code. Some even
threatened to fork fpGUI and do it their way, just because I didn't
agree with what they were suggesting. I welcomed them to do that, but in
reality they never did fork fpGUI. I persistent and myself and many
others are very happy with where fpGUI is now.

Give it time Fred - don't quit now!

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/