On 6/14/2012 12:05 PM, JMGross wrote:
> Hi!
> No idea how to do it on hardware side.
> Of course you can do a break on instruction fetch and check it for a call
> instruction, or a RET/RETI instruction (and the return address
> is found on stack). But that's rather slow (if not even slower).
Not sure if I follow that. With breaking allowed I was able to do it with
hacked mspdebug: run, halt, read PC, repeat. The idea is to use EEM
trace functionality without stopping the target. If I read TI appnotes
correctly that should be possible.

> Alternatively you can put a write access to a global 'trace' variable on
> every point you want to trace, and trigger a breakpoint when this
> address is written to. Would be better than a breakpoint on a timer
> interrupt, and allows tracing ISRs too.
Timer interrupt was programmed to randomize PC acquisition time so that
aliasing would not upset statistical nature of profiling.
> But it is possible that not all MSPs support write-access triggers. The EEM
> isn't really good documented in the users guides.
No, it is not. I think one needs to sign an NDA to get proper documentation.
Well, I was hoping that since TI released MSP430.dll src code it would be
possible to figure out how to use EEM trace without having full
documentation.
Regards,
Sergei