On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Mitnacht, Thomas <t-mitna...@ti.com> wrote:
> Hello GCC-enthusiasts!
>
> We wanted to give everyone in the MSPGCC community some exciting news
> regarding the MSP430(tm) MCU portfolio and its GCC offering. TI is
> collaborating with Red Hat to develop a new GCC offering that will
> incorporate as much as feasible of what the community has developed. The team
> at Texas Instruments cannot thank the community enough for all of the efforts
> involved in improving our GCC offering for MSP430 MCUs! With your help, TI
> has been able to grow closer to the open source community & GCC has become a
> key part of MSP430 MCU strategy. The MSP430 team looks forward to this new
> partnership to further improve our open source presence. We are working with
> Red Hat to create a new GCC offering for MSP430 MCUs and future platforms,
> with the ultimate goal of being upstreamed into the main FSF GCC branch that
> is actively supported for the long-term.
>
> We are aiming to have a working beta before the end of the year, and are
> shooting for a public release sometime early next year. Stay tuned.
>
> The MSP430 Team

As the sole maintainer of mspgcc and its component packages for the
last two years, I endorse this decision.

I originally started contributing simply because I wanted an MSP430
toolchain that supported the CC430 and that I could run on Linux
without paying $4K for the privilege of running an IDE under a Windows
emulator.  I continued because I thought it needed doing, was able to
do it, and mostly enjoyed it.

Today, I believe LTS-20120406 (gcc 4.6) and dev 20120911 (gcc 4.7 with
20-bit MSP430 support) have both been demonstrated to be remarkably
stable, supporting the entire MSP430 product line comprising over 350
MCUs.  I have no plans for further enhancements or releases of mspgcc.
 I will probably continue to provide patches for any serious bugs that
are reported until the new implementation is available.  I have also
offered to be a resource to Red Hat and TI to assist in preserving the
existing capabilities and interfaces of mspgcc to whatever degree is
appropriate.

However, a majority of my effort has been, well, unpaid (which is NOT
the intended meaning of "free software").  It's time to focus on other
things, such as http://pabigot.github.com/bsp430/ and other
infrastructure tools and environments associated with my consulting
business.  I've taken mspgcc as far as I personally care to, and look
forward to somebody else taking responsibility for the next steps.
Somebody who has the necessary influence with the GCC core developers
to push for internal changes that will make supporting such an unusual
architecture simpler, the experience to implement the reload
optimizations that would help mspgcc generate more "atomic" code, and
the time and motivation to update gdb to support all the CPUX
enhancements that have been added to binutils.  I believe the open
source MSP430 development community will benefit greatly from the
involvement of Red Hat with TI support.

Peter