On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Ionut Nicu <ionut.n...@cloudbit.ro> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 06:03 -0600, Peter Bigot wrote:
>
> > The debugger checks all relocations; it doesn't matter whether they're
> > in a section that gets downloaded or not, as they may be important
> > when running gdb with a remote target.
>
> The old linker from mspgcc4 didn't have this check and the debugger was
> working properly.

The old linker from mspgcc4 was willing to overwrite memory when the
relocation was too big (or the assembler or compiler simply truncated the
value that got placed in the relocation).  That it worked was luck, not
intent.

> > I'm at a loss how you could be getting a 32-bit relocation when (per
> > previous mail) you're using the LTS-20120406 compiler which only
> > generates references to 16-bit addresses.  Perhaps you have something
> > in your code?  Asm statements that place data in far memory are known
> > to cause this issue with pre-20-bit compilers.
>
> > The bug was fixed for the 4.7-based development series in
> >
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3530932&group_id=42303&atid=432701
> >
> > See also the thread beginning at
> >
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mspgcc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg10923.html
>
> Yes, like in the thread above I have an 32K array allocated in
> the .fartext section and some inline asm functions to read/write a byte
> at addresses over 0x10000.
>
> This causes indeed some relocation errors, but even if I remove all
> references to it, I still get some relocation errors from an "innocent"
> function which doesn't have anything to do with the 20-bit accesses.
>
> I'll try to debug this further, but at this point I don't know exactly
> what to look for.

For GDB-related fixes you'll have to wait for the Red Hat rewrite of the
toolchain.  It's below the threshold of critical bugs that I still support
pro bono.

Peter