I've built Blink for near memory using 4.7 without problem for a 5437a.
I've also build Blink for the telosb without problems.

I haven't tried different memory models.

Not sure what exactly martin is using...   ie.   what source tree.

The current new msp430 core code can be obtained via git from
https://github.com/tp-freeforall/prod

Eric B. Decker
Senior (over 50 :-) Researcher