> I see.  I guess to me a "syscall interface" implies something other
> than a normal C function call to a function that's linked with the
> caller.

It does to me too.  The *implementation* of those standard C functions
may involve some sort of interface that's known to the
debugger/simulator as well.  In the case of msp430-elf-libgloss, that
interface is CIO, but it could involve designated interrupts or a
simulated I/O peripheral.  But that syscall interface is hidden in the
libgloss C function calls.  In other cases, there might not be a
syscall interface, if the C functions interface directly with
hardware, such as a serial port or LCD interface.

But I don't think any of the implementations involve a separate OS
running *on the chip*, which talks to your app with a well-known
interface, similar to how (for example) the Linux kernel talks to apps
running on a Linux machine.

Note, however, that there *is* a newlib port for running on a native
x86 Linux platform, which *does* use the Linux kernel syscall API, but
not for the MSP430.  In *that* port, the _read() et al C functions
call the Linux kernel syscall.