On 10/17/2015 03:35 PM, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello DJ,
>
> Saturday, October 17, 2015, 10:55:52 PM, you wrote:
>

>> 1. Are you cross-building a compiler?  I.e. is the host you're
>>    building *on* different than the host (not target, which is msp430)
>>    you're building *for*?  (This is called a "canadian cross" and is
>>    much more complicated than a regular cross compiler).
>   Nope. *host* and *build* are both the same.
>
>>    (one typically cross-builds by accident by specifying --build or
>>    --host but not both, or by specifying both but not having them the
>>    same.)
>
>> 2. Are you building in the source tree?  If so, that is not supported,
>>    you must always build in a separate (empty) directory.
>   Oh, it looks like my error. I'm trying to build out-of-tree now.

I built the TI version from source a while back. I don't recall exactly
what I did but fortunately, it remembers.

I created the directory ti/gcc/sources/tools/msp430-build

The config.log reveals that I ran from that directory:

 ../configure --target=msp430-elf --program-prefix=msp430-elf --with-newlib

gcc has a lot of build options and by default it is going to build a lot
of stuff you have no interest in. Taking a long time to do it. I also
played with building a version for the 68000 with:

../configure --target=m68k-elf --with-arch=m68k --program-prefix=m68k-
--enable-languages=c --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp
--disable-libgomp --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-threads

And since that was in its own build directory, it didn't conflict at all
with the msp430 build. It is almost certain that there is an optimal set
of options for the task but I don't know what they are.

--
David W. Schultz
Returned for Regrooving